Six people were killed and more than 90 others became ill after eating rare tortoisemeat of endangered species in Micronesia, on Friday (12/11).
Governments in the Pacific countries that said, the victims included four children died after partying on the island of Murilo, last month. “They eat the rare hawksbill turtle in the party,” said public information office Federated States of Micronesia.
Government officials and World Health Organization (WHO) said the cause of death of these people are chelonitoxism. It is a kind of toxic substances caused by biotoksin on turtle meat. Until now, there is no known antidote to poison.
Hawksbill turtle has long been known to cause chelonitoxism. Children are particularly vulnerable to these conditions. Local health department has recommended a total ban on turtle meat and eggs, due to casualties.
“Although this incident has passed, there will still be happening. Unless there is action taken to change the eating habits of turtles,” the government statement. Hawksbill turtles are also a source Tortoise shell and are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).